iPhone 5 Has Arrived
Apple’s New iPhone 5 Under Review
Today was the day. The brand new Apple iPhone 5 that we pre-ordered and had been tracking from Korea to Alaska was finally showing to be in Knoxville and set for delivery. Being the tech geeks that we truly are, we all got crazy excited when we heard the delivery truck pull into the parking lot.
Sam received and signed for the package, Daniel grabbed the camera and Sarah and I dropped what we were doing. We all stormed into the board room to watch as Sam carefully unwrapped it as if it were some precious jewel that had to be handled with delicate hands.
Once unwrapped, we started comparing it to the iPhone 4s.
Here’s what we like so far:
- Thinner: They say it’s thinner but until you hold it and compare it to the iPhone 4s, you have no idea. It’s a very noticeable difference in thickness and it’s much lighter.
- Headphone Jack: Ok, having the headphone jack on the bottom just makes sense. We love it.
- Body: The body is beautiful. It is smooth, sleek and feels like you are holding an object of perfection. We have heard that some who received their iPhone 5 today were disappointed to find they had chips and dents in the black and metal casing, this was not the case with our device.
- Larger Screen: The screen is noticeably larger. Much more viewing area.
- Better Screen Quality: The pixel depth is amazing. If you think the iPhone 4s is great, hold it beside the iPhone 5 and you’ll see an amazing difference.
- Panoramic Photos: This feature is awesome. Panoramic photos are super easy to take and the quality is impressive.
AT&T Update – Georgetown, SC
Since we already knew folks were flagging down delivery trucks in East Tennessee, we wanted to see how the iPhone 5 demand was in other areas. To do that we called our friend Allie Hagwood with the AT&T shop in Georgetown, SC. According to her, things were pretty steady all day however they did have a line (of 8) at the door first thing this morning when they opened. The first person waiting in line had spent the night in the parking lot since 9PM last night.
Interested in all the specifics?
We took notes during Apple’s keynote speech and here are all of the updates, upgrades, changes and features that were revealed:
Apple's iPhone 5 Keynote – Review Notes:
- Body casing made entirely of glass and aluminum.
- 7.6 mm thin, 18% thinner than iPhone 4S making it worlds thinnest smartphone.
- 112 Grams, 20% lighter (1/5 lighter than 4S).
- Most challenging product to engineer in Apple’s history.
- 4 inch display, adds extra line of app icons totaling 5 lines.
- Shows 5 days in calendar instead of 3…full work week.
- 16:9 ratio.
- Apps that are not updated for larger display will show black outline instead of stretching it.
- Display has 44% more saturation, full sRGB color specification, most accurate in industry.
- Removed internal display layer so now touch is actually integrated into display and this also reduces glare.
- LTE capable, Only carrier in USA to allow simultaneous talk/data use is AT&T, would need an additional antenna to allow for CDMA networks.
- Faster A6 chip, 2x faster cpu and graphics, chip 22% smaller, saved a lot of internal space within iPhone 5.
- 8 hours 3G talk time, 8 hours Wi-Fi browsing, 8 hours LTE browsing, 225 hours standby time.
- Re-developed backside iSight camera with dynamic lowlight mode, 40% faster photo capture.
- Panorama photo feature, 28 Megapixel in size stitched seamless and automatically.
- Take photos while recording video.
- Front 720p Facetime camera, Facetime over cellular (carrier limitations)
- 3 mics bottom, front, back.
- Improved speakers on bottom.
- Lightening connector, 80% smaller than 10 year old standard. *Industry uncertain about how 30 pin adapter ($29) will work with cars, docks, etc. Reversible so it will fit in either side
- iOS6 operating system- Google maps & YouTube not integrated out of the box. Maps replaced with Apple version and YouTube can be downloaded in app store.
- Turn by turn directions similar to TomTom GPS systems.
- Twitter & Facebook integrated.
- VIP’s in mail. (we don’t care for this feature yet)
- Passbook-Starbucks, Coupons, Tickets, etc.
- Enhanced Siri functions- Sports.
- 200 total new features in iOS 6.
Well our day is ending here but we will be testing the new toy all weekend and our official iPhone 5 video review production will begin Monday so please stay tuned! The complete video review will be available next week here on our Tech Reviews blog.